Monday, June 9, 2008

SummerSportWeek

Well, it's been a long time since I updated, apparently, and I just got back from something exciting, so instead of boring you with details of whatever unimportant happened inbetween these last two posts, I'll tell you what happened on the SportWeek.

Day 0: The Big Wait-owsky

The day before the trip to Seeboden (the town where we were staying) I had to wait until around 11:30 at night to pack my suitcase, because the week before (Sun., 30th May-Sun.,1st June) my parents were in Spain. Originally, their flight was supposed to be back at around 6:10 pm and they should've been home at around 7 o'clock. Well, the weather decided to spazz after a week of sunshine, sweating and extreme temperatures, so it ended up being a hazard to fly and their flight got delayed.

So I waited.

Then, I found out they'd already started flying, but, since the weather had started getting worse and worse in Vienna, they had to land in Budapest. So, that flight got delayed a little bit (it was now past 8:30) and once they finally got back on a plane to Vienna, it was around 9 o'clock at night. The flight from Budapest to Vienna isn't long, and they landed about an hour later (10 o'clock). They would've been home by 11 if the busses had worked, if there hadn't been 12 other flights that had been delayed and that had taken up the baggage claim and if they could've caught the train on time.

Obviously, from my wording above, none of that happened. They had to sit in the plane on the runway for God only knows how long, waiting for the shuttle bus, which apparently doesn't work in the rain, then they had to wait for a veeeeeery long time at the baggage claim for their one bag, wait for the fast train and then walk home. All in all, that took about another hour and a half, so by the time they got home, it was already almost midnight.

I had to pack my stuff (it was all on my bed, having gotten it all ready before 6 so i could be done with it), get ready for bed and go to sleep, which, by that time, was very hard to do, seeing as I'd been awake for longer than I wanted to, and my inner clock was set on an all-nighter. So I didn't get to sleep until around 1:30am...bugger.

Day 1: Bus rides and first classes

The next day, I woke up at around 5am, half an hour earlier than I'd set my alarm for, and I stayed in bed for that whole time, waiting for the alarm to go off (because I'm partially OCD...I can't get out of bed until the alarm goes off) and when it finally does go off, I try and snuggle into my blankets, because, of course, once I have to get up, I get cold and don't want to.

But I did get up eventually (at around 5:05am, because I can't stay in bed longer than 6 minutes after the alarm goes off) and did my morning stuff, brushing the teeth, the hair, washing the face, putting the contacts in, getting dressed, packing up the last minute stuff...The works. At 5:30, I left the apartment to meet Nati at the bakery across the street and get breakfast and get taken to the school by her mom (before I left I said goodbye to my own mom, don't worry. I'm not that horrible...^.-)

After a short wait, a short drive and a short almost-accident (guy behind us didn't know how to read break signals, apparently...) we arrived at the school at 6am, among the very few others. We waited and waited and more and more people showed up, we talked, waited, talked some more, waited some more until finally at 6:30, the busses arrived and we started to get on.

The busses were split into classes. 5B and the first half of 5A was on one bus and 5C and the other half of 5A was on the other. I sat in the front with Pezi, on the other side of the aisle sat Anja and Nati, in front of them was Prof. Häckel, in front of me and Pezi was Prof. Zorro. Behind us sat Christoph (Huber) and Thomas (Bartholomay). Across the aisle from them were Michael (Greslehner) and Horst (Gfeller).

Not much to say about the bus ride...It was long, around 6 hours, we made one pit stop for about half an hour where Nati and I concluded that the Kindergarten class that was also stopping for a short break was more mature than the boys in our class were...

We finally arrived at the Gasthof (sort of like a B&B) at around 1 o'clock. We got our keys, went to our rooms, put our suitcases and things in them and went to lunch. After lunch, we went back to our rooms, unpacked, looked at the course schedules outside of our room (my room was in the foyer, right across from the door and right next to the pinboard with the schedules) and got ready for them.

I had my first dance lesson that afternoon (Volleyball from 8-9:30 in the morning, Dance from 4:30-6 in the afternoon) with Günther (our cute dance teacher). The first lesson went ok...It was kind of hard to keep up in the beginning, and the class in front of us (there were basically three rows with three classes...each class had a row..we were in the middle) kept backing up so we had no room to do anything...but in the end, it was fine. Günther has a really intense stare...it always feels like he's watching you.

Well, it did to me, at least.

After that class, we had dinner and not much happened after that...Well, except for the fact that Dietlind (another roommate) was gone until 10 (dinner ended at, like, 7) and Laura (a girl from a different room) stayed until 10...haha.

Day 2: Beach Volleyball and a long, long walk

The next morning I woke bright and early at 6am, (but didn't get out of bed until 7) and I skipped breakfast that morning because I found out I'd gotten my period and I didn't want another repeat of French...(in other words: I didn't wanna throw up again) so I skipped the morning meal and went down to the volleyball field with Janette and Veronika (actually, I went to the tennis court with both and Janette and I went to the volleyball field without Veri) and we got there a little later than we were supposed to, but not as late as Michi (Greslehner), Christoph (Huber) and Thomas (Bartholomay)...hehe.

Volleyball went by fast and soon enough, we were all jumping into the (huge and very, very cold) lake. Well, since it was so cold, I just went back to my room with Anja (she met me at the lake) even though I was supposed to be waiting for the Windsurfers to be done (that ended at 10:30, though) and then go swimming with Nati, Sasa (pronounced: Sasha, but Nati and I call him Zaza) and Flo...Needless to say, Anja and I got back to the room, rested for a little while and, once Pezi got home, went shopping for junk food and things to store in a cupboard...When we got back, Nati was there (and wet...I guess that's what happens when you surf...even if you have a wetsuit ^^) and we all waited for lunch together.

Nothing much happened at lunch, but after lunch we were all sent to our rooms to stay until 2 o'clock...or quarter to, depending on if you had a class or not. We had dance again, learned some more, it was fun, not much happened, to tell you the truth.

After dinner, we went on a walk around the small town of Seeboden and as we neared the top of a hill, which would take us to the main street, something happened down the line (I was pretty far up) that made everyone stop. (I didn't found out what had happened until yesterday...feel lucky). All that I knew was that apparently, some people thought I had something to do with something that was going on about 100 feet behind me. Anyway, whatever had happened stopped pretty soon and we were on our way again back home.

Day 3: It's a wet, wet world out there

Yet again, the next day I woke at the same time, got out of bed at the same time and did everything the same as the day before, only this time, i did wait for Nati, I went swimming with her, Flo, Sasa and after we got out and dried ourselves off a bit, we met some other people and went up to the volleyball field our school had rented out and started to play volleyball in the grass (and mud). Finally, some people left, Flo and Sasa started playing soccer and Nati, Bartho, Christoph, Gresi (Greslehner), two teachers and I started playing volleyball.

Lemme tell you...playing with teachers is reeeeeeeally fun.

After a while, we all headed back home and had lunch, rested, played with the volleyball in my room, played UNO, went to our afternoon courses, had dinner and recooperated. Not much really happened that day...

Day 4: The cogs in my mind go round and round...

The next day I complained of an ear ache and went to the doctor. He told me I couldn't play volleyball, but I could dance and if I had any complaints of a sore throat or anything, I should go back to him. Well, by the time dance came around, I had headaches and dizziness and I wasn't feeling well, so I stayed home that day. Not much happened that night, except that Nati and I switched from sitting with our roommates to sitting with Jacky, Flo and Sasa. Also, Anja complained that, since she had trouble with her lung, she didn't want to sleep in the bed next to me for fear of catching whatever I had...

That day, she turned into a made-up bitch...But only for the next few days.

Day 5: For shame, tis the last day...or second to last, at least

I didn't go to volleyball on day 5, but I did get up insanely early so I could have breakfast with Jacky and the guys...Then I went for a fairly long walk around the town and after that, the day went by fairly quickly.

But, of course, I forgot to mention that on day 4 (otherwise known as Thursday...), Zorro handed two sheets of paper out: One for a class soccer match and one a sign-up sheet for the disco that would be taking place on day 5 (or Friday, as we all say today...). Long story short: My class did not win the match, I was being badgered by lots of people to sign up to go dancing and I went to bed with a headache.

Back to day 5 (Friday...grr)...

The people going to the disco had to be in the hallway outside of my room by 8 o'clock, so they could catch the bus by 8:30 and be back by quarter to 12. I had been, of course, sitting in the very comfortable chairs outside of my room, playing UNO and chess and checkers and the gay austrian version of checkers called 'Dame (Dah-meh)' with Sasa and anyone else who would play. Before the crowd started rolling in to catch the bus, I met a really cool guy who was also almost 17, who was funny and awesome and who would be playing volleyball with us that night, because he also wasn't going to the disco.

I think I was mostly attracted to him because he was upright nice to me off the bat...He was open and I could relate to him...We went for a very short walk a little before we were to go play volleyball and found out that not only did I have a sister that was five years older than me and he had a brother that was five years older than him, but he has family in America, in New Jersey, and he was going to go see them this summer.

Oh, and of course, he said that it was a good thing my sister and his brother weren't getting married to each other. ^^

Anyway, that night was pretty dull aside from meeting Jakob and I won't bore you all with tales of poker, UNO and Harry Potter (I finished 2 books in 1 and a half days...I was trying to read HP7, but I just can't get myself through it...)

Day 6: The end of an era but the beginning of a new life

On the last day I didn't wanna miss volleyball, because it was the tournament, so I got up, got dressed, went to the field and bagged myself 4th place out of 8 two-player teams. No swimming that day, because I was still somewhat sick, but I did have a lot of fun waiting for lunch, because I got to spend time with Jakob again and we played 'Connect Four' against Laura and Rolland (Balc) and lost, miserably. Haha.

After that, we played with my very deflated volleyball, Laura's hacky sack, had lunch, talked about how he once won a pizza-eating contest in Toscana and went back outside. This is probably my favorite part, because I get to be agiddy school-girl every time I think about it:

Jakob and I had been playing with my volleyball, right? Well, while we played with my ball, Laura and Pezi played with Laura's brother's hacky sack. We somehow got into a 'fight' and started throwing the balls at each other. Well, at one point, Laura said the hacky sack was hers, I said the volleyball was mine and Jakob said that I was his (-insert girly scream here-).

Yea...

After that, nothing much happened except Jakob shot Laura's hacky sack into the hedge and we couldn't find it anymore, we all boarded the busses, and about an hour and a half later, we made the first 30 minute pit stop.

Let's just say I had another reason to be girly. I was sitting on a stone next to Benny, a fellow volleyball player, when Jakob and a few other kids came over to us. Jakob left the two girls he was talking to, came over to me, and started talking about America, sports teams, politics...It was great.

We all got on the busses, stopped after another hour for another 30 minute break and nothing extraordinary happened...We got home at around 7:15pm, Anja's mom drove me home and...I had dinner and stayed up for a little while. Nothing exciting happened after that...

Anyway, that was my week and I hope you enjoyed reading about it as much as I enjoyed living through it...^.-

--Cassy [[is all brooooown nooooow]]

No comments: